Swire recognises that continued success is dependent upon the sustainable development of our businesses and the communities and environments upon which we depend. As part of our overall commitment to good corporate governance, we believe it is our duty to act in a socially responsible manner through a range of initiatives that aim to benefit the communities we serve and help to preserve our natural environment.
As a 200-year-old company, Swire sees long-term thinking and innovation as core attributes that underpin success. As such, ‘sustainable development’ is synonymous with the underlying philosophy that has driven Swire throughout our long history – it is part of who we are and how we operate.
- Providing a safe and healthy workplace
- Minimising our impact on the environment through the generation of waste and consumption of resources
- Being a fair and equitable employer that enables our people to reach their full potential, and being an employer of choice
- Making a positive contribution to the communities in which we operate, and upon which we depend
- Working with our suppliers, contractors, customers and consumers in ways that reflect our commitment to sustainable development.
Health & Safety
We consider the health and safety of our people and stakeholders of utmost importance
Our people are the key to the current success and future sustainable development of our company.
Swire in the community
Swire recognises that we can ultimately only operate sustainably if the communities in which we operate are, themselves, sustainable.
Swire is committed to good stewardship of the environment and natural resources under its influence.
1855Melbourne, July 1855 Young Liverpool merchant John Samuel Swire establishes Swire Bros. in Melbourne, a modest import-export operation and the start of Swire in Australia.
Sustainable development is synonymous with the underlying philosophy that has driven Swire throughout our long history – it is part of who we are and how we operate.